Urban Agriculture Business Information Bundle
Aquaculture, or fish farming, is increasingly popular in Ontario. Under provincial legislation, more than 40 species of fish are now eligible to be raised, including tilapia, four species of trout, arctic char, yellow perch and walleye.
It may be feasible to set up a backyard system. While aquaculture systems can range from very basic to extremely sophisticated, the key is maintaining good water quality.
For details, see:
- Jonathan Woods' The Urban Aquaculture Manual
- Aquaculture Association of Canada
- Canadian Aquaculture Industry Alliance
- Fishery Enhancement and Aquaculture Association
- Ontario Aquaculture Association
The University of Guelph offers aquaculture workshops.
Fleming College in Lindsay offers a one year Aquaculture Graduate Certificate program that includes a Co-op.
Under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act, 1997, you need a licence to raise and sell fish and to transport live fish.
For more information:
Toll Free: 1-877-424-1300