Branch - Service Standards
The Environmental Management Branch provides knowledge and expertise
to its stakeholders through coordination of environmental sustainability
programs, knowledge translation and transfer, development of collaborative
partnerships and the development of multiple access points for technical
The mandate of the Agricultural Drainage Infrastructure
Program and the Tile Drainage Loan Program
is to encourage the development of agricultural land in an environmentally
responsible manner by providing grants towards assessments on agricultural
land for cost of municipal drain construction, improvement, maintenance,
repair and operations.
The Farm Implements Registration Program registers
distributors, manufacturers and dealers of farm machinery in Ontario,
as required by the Farm Implements Act.
The mandate of the Nutrient Management Program
is to administer the Nutrient Management Act, 2002 and associated
regulations. The purpose of the Act is:
to provide for the management of materials containing
nutrients in ways that will enhance protection of the natural environment
and provide a sustainable future for agricultural operations and
This is in keeping with OMAFRA's Strategic Priority of "Thriving
agriculture and food", and the ministry's Strategic Direction
of "Protect public good and enhance the business climate
through appropriate policies and regulations."
Our Service Principles
We uphold the following principles in our service to our clients
and all others seeking our service:
- Drainage - We administer the Tile Drainage
Loan Program, which provides loans to landowners who want to install
tile drainage systems on their agricultural land. We also administer
the Agricultural Drainage Infrastructure Program, which provides
grants to municipalities for the construction, repair, improvement
and maintenance of drainage systems constructed in accordance
with a municipal by-law, passed under the authority of the Drainage
- Farm Implements Registration - We provide
the following services to farm machinery companies (distributors,
manufacturers and dealers):
- information packages (online and hard copy) on the Act and
the registration program
- register companies which apply for registration and issue
- issue registration renewal notices at least six weeks before
registration renewal is due
- respond to questions about the act and the registration
- publish lists of registered farm machinery companies
- Nutrient Management - We provide the following
- Approvals for Nutrient Management Strategies And Plans for
- Agricultural Operation Strategy Or Plan Development
- Agricultural Operation Planning Certificate
- Broker Certificate
- Prescribed Materials Application Business Licence
- Nutrient Application Technician Licence
Our Service Standards
Subject to operational exigencies, in the usual course of business*,
standards for each of the program services are outlined below:
- The Drainage program measures service standards in two ways:
- For the Tile Loan Program, 75% of the tile loan applications
received will be processed within one month of being received
- For the Agricultural Drainage Infrastructure Program, 75%
of all grant applications received in a fiscal year before
deadline announced for that grant (i.e. last business day
of January for superintendents and maintenance grants, Feb.
15 for construction grants) will be processed by the end of
that fiscal year.
- The Farm Implement Registration service standards:
- 75% of the application packages will be sent within 10 business
days of receiving a request for the same.
- 75% of registration certificates will be issued within
45 business days of receipt of complete application.
- 75% of the registration renewal packages will be mailed
to the client at least six weeks before the registration expiry
- If the above targets cannot be met, we will advise our
clients about when they can expect to receive their application
packages, registration certificates or registration renewal
- The Nutrient Management program service standards:
- Approvals for Nutrient Management Strategies and Plans:
- 80% of the applications received will be approved within
50 working days
- Certificates and licences:
- 90% of the complete applications for certificates and
licences from applicants who have successfully completed
all requirements will be issued the certificate or license
within 10 business days.
* While the Drainage Program, Farm Implements Registration
Program and Nutrient Management Program fully intend to adopt and
meet the service standards set out above, they do not guarantee
Achievement of Common Service Standards
results reflect performance from April 1, 2011 - March 31, 2012.
Feedback and complaints are handled as outlined below:
- Drainage: Complaints or feedback may be directed to the Drainage
Coordinator. Contact information is provided on all program correspondence.
Feedback can also be made through the OMAFRA website.
- Farm implement registration feedback can be made through the
- Nutrient Management program feedback and complaints should
be forwarded to the Director, Nutrient Management. Contact information
is provided on all program correspondence and on the OMAFRA website.