Checklist for a Knowledge
translation and transfer plan
|KTT plan checklist - WORD
version or PDF
Researchers are encouraged use the following checklist to see if
their research proposal has a comprehensive knowledge translation
and transfer (KTT) plan (the items in this list are guidelines
Which of the three streams applies to your research: program,
policy and/or commercialization?
- Program: Will the user(s) of your research
use the research to change a practice or implement a program?
- Policy: Will your research user(s) use the
research to develop or modify policy?
- Commercialization: Is your research contributing
to a product for the marketplace? Do you see intellectual property
(IP) potential? Do you have industry involvement / sponsorship?
Research user group/Target audiences:
- Have you identified the potential groups/industry partners
who will likely benefit from your research (research user group(s))?
Who will you target?
- Do you know what each user group's needs are? Can your research
meet the specific needs of the user group(s)? (demand driven)
- Have you planned ways to involve the research users in your
- Are your users members of associations, partnerships or networks
that your research can link to?
- How will the research be used by the target audience(s)?
- Do you have letters of support from specific users/user groups?
If possible, include in the letter how they will assist in the
research's impact and/or dissemination.
KTT methods - information sharing activities:
- Have you described ways to involve your research user groups
in your research?
- Have you planned to inform the user groups on a regular basis?
- Do your KTT activities include venues/information products/
publications that the research user(s) will likely attend/apply/read?
- Do you have a budget for KTT activities?
KTT methods - collaboration (beyond the potential target research
- In your research team, do you work together with researchers
from other universities and research institutions? Which ones?
- Do you have an advisory/steering group in place? How often
does/will the advisory group meet?
- Are you collaborating with, or does your research team or advisory
group include, an OMAFRA staff representative (if applicable)?
- Do you plan to link with groups outside of your research team,
advisors and users to share, discuss, exchange knowledge?
More information about KTT
- The "Learn
More about KTT" page contains more links to useful information
about KTT (such as KTT model, related terms, the role of a knowledge
broker). The links on the left sidebar, under "This Section"
also provide more information about knowledge translation and
- Return to KTT
For more information:
Toll Free: 1-888-466-2372 ext. 64554
Local: (519) 826-4554