2017 Food Safety Research Forum
The Food Safety Research Forum is a great opportunity to share information and connect with other researchers, industry representatives, other stakeholders and ministry staff interested in Ontario's food safety.
On this Page
- Purpose of the Forum
- Event details
- Student Poster Competition
- Agenda (Presentations, external link)
- Recommended for you
The Food Safety Research Forum is for you to:
- learn about the ministry's food safety research projects and programs
- hear from researchers, government and industry on their food safety priorities
- network and participate in knowledge sharing activities, including a plain language research poster session
- join the discussion about food safety research needs for the sector
- The Forum is delivered as part of ministry's Food Safety Research Program, a competitive research fund to support innovative food safety research projects.
- Date: Friday October 20, 2017
- Location: Conference Centre, 1 Stone Rd W, Guelph, ON
- Time: 8:45 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
If you are interested in sharing, collaborating, networking, or learning about Food Safety Research - register today! Registration is free, but space is limited so sign up early! This event will also be available via webinar. Please register using the form below or E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-877-424-1300 (Ontario only). Registration deadline is October 9, 2017.
Students are invited to apply for the student poster competition.
- Poster abstracts with a maximum of 200 words should be emailed to Tieghan Hunt at email@example.com
- Deadline:Friday, September 22nd, 2017 by 4:00p.m.
Abstracts must include:
- project title
- name of student
- a brief explanation of the project
- why the project is important
- what the specific benefit of the project has been/could be
- who has benefited or is expected to benefit from this research
A review committee will select abstracts for poster display and notification of acceptance with poster guidelines will occur by e-mail by September 26th, 2017.
- Posters must address any of the food safety research program priorities of: detection and surveillance, pathway analysis, and prevention and control of disease.
- Posters should describe research projects addressing current issues in food safety in clear language using the poster template provided at the link below.
- Poster template link
- Posters are due to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before October 10th, 2017 in PDF and PowerPoint formats.
Students - There will be prizes for the best student posters:1st place - $250, 2nd place - $150, 3rd place - $100
8:45 - Opening Remarks - Christine Primeau, Assistant Deputy Minister of Research and Corporate Services Division (OMAFRA)
9:00 - Food Safety Keynote - Dr. Volker Gerdts, Associate Director of Research-Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization, International Vaccine Centre (VIDO-InterVac), University of Saskatchewan
9:40 - OMAFRA Dairy Food Safety Programs
9:50 - Principal Investigator#1 - Shu Chen, University of Guelph
10:00 - Principal Investigator#2 - Dele Ogunremi, Canadian Food Inspection Agency
10:10 - Question Period
10:25 - Student Poster Presentations
10:45 - Morning Break
11:05 - OMAFRA Veterinary Inspection & Audit Unit
11:15 - Industry Speaker - TBC
11:25 - Principal Investigator #3 - David Pearl, University of Guelph
11:35 - Question Period
11:50 - Student Poster Presentations
12:10 - Lunch
1:10 - OMAFRA Food Safety Science Unit
1:20 - OMAFRA Foods of Plant Origins Unit
1:30 - Industry Speaker - Jeff Hall, Canadian Produce Marketing Association
1:45 - Principal Investigator #4 - Claudia Narvaez, University of Manitoba
1:55 - Question Period
2:10 - Afternoon Break
2:30 - OMAFRA Monitoring & Analysis Unit
2:40 - OMAFRA Meat Inspection Programs
2:50 - Industry Speaker - TBC
3:05 - Principal Investigator #5 - Vahab Farzan, University of Guelph
3:15 - Principal Investigators #6 - S. Balamurugan, Agriculture & Agri-Food Canada
3:25 - Question Period
3:40 - Wrap Up: Summary of the Day & Future - Oswald Zachariah, Manager of Innovation & Knowledge Management (OMAFRA)
3:50 - Poster Awards & Thank You! - Jen Liptrot, Director of Research and Innovation Branch (OMAFRA)
If you have questions, please contact:
- Tieghan Hunt, OMAFRA, email@example.com
For more information: