Information about Non-Agricultural Source Material (NASM) for Farmers

Table of Contents

  1. NASM Plans
  2. When you need a NASM Plan
  3. When you need an approved NASM Plan
  4. A Farmers role
  5. Other Information you need to know
    1. NASM plan developer certification
    2. NASM land applications
  6. Disclaimer

1. NASM Plans

A NASM Plan deals with the management of Non-agricultural source materials (NASM), including storage and land application. The Nutrient Management Regulation specifies the information that must be in a NASM Plan. The information needed is outlined in Part 8 of the Nutrient Management Protocol.

2. When you need a NASM Plan

The regulation requires you to have a NASM Plan whenever you want to land apply or store Category 2 or 3 NASM. NASM Plans must be prepared by a certified NASM Plan developer. Read our factsheet called Understanding When Farms Require a NMS, NMP or NASM Plan for more information.

3. When you need an approved NASM Plan

NASM is placed into three different categories. These categories determine what you need to consider when storing and land applying NASM, such as if you need a NASM Plan or if you need an approved NASM plan.

You must have an approved NASM Plan if you:

  • apply Category 3 NASM to land
  • apply Category 2 NASM with higher concentrations of regulated metal to land
  • store and apply any Category 2 or 3 NASM

See Schedule 4 of the regulation for a full list of NASM categories.

4. A farmer's role

As a farmer, you must:

  • Comply with all legal obligations in the regulation and other applicable legislation.
  • Only receive NASM in accordance with the regulation. Refer any civil liability issues regarding the receipt of NASM to your legal counsel.
  • Keep the records the regulation says you need to keep, such as a copy of a NASM Plan at the location of your operation.
  • Follow the post-land application practices that apply to you, such as pre-harvest and pre-grazing waiting periods for crops.
  • Provide advance written notice to the local district office of the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change (MOECC) if you are applying Category 3 NASM or Category 2 NASM that is CM2. See the Information on Sampling and Analysis Requirements web page for more information.

5. Other Information you need to know

a. NASM plan developer certification

NASM Plans must be prepared by a NASM Plan developer who holds a valid NASM Plan Development Certificate issued by the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA). To be eligible, individuals must take specific training courses, successfully complete an assignment and pass an exam. Visit the University of Guelph Ridgetown Campus website for more information about the NASM Plan Development Certificate.

NASM Plan developers may use a software program called NMAN to help develop NASM Plans. Using NMAN can help NASM Plan developers to set out application practices that balance agronomics with environmental stewardship.

NASM Plan developers play a vital role in ensuring that the management of NASM follows all the rules and any best management practices that the farmer wants to implement.

b. NASM land applicators

Only people holding a Prescribed Materials Application Business Licence can apply NASM to land that they or their employer do not own or operate.

In some cases, only a person with a nutrient application technician licence can apply NASM to land. This happens when a farm is required to have a NASM Plan or a Nutrient Management Plan, and the person applying the NASM is not the owner, operator or an employee of the operation. If you intend to land apply NASM at your farm, we encourage you to take OMAFRA training to learn about the land application standards under the regulation. Visit the University of Guelph Ridgetown Campus for more information on licensing and training opportunities.

6. Disclaimer

The information contained on this page is not authoritative. It is derived from the Nutrient Management Act, 2002 (NMA) and its General Regulation (O. Reg. 267/03) and is for informational purposes only. Efforts have been made to make it as accurate as possible, but in the event of a conflict, inconsistency or error, the requirements set out in the NMA and the regulation take precedence. Please refer to e-Laws for what the NMA and the regulation actually provide. In addition, there may be additional legal obligations under different pieces of Legislation which are not the subject of this informational web page. The Government of Ontario assumes no liability for any inaccurate or incomplete information, nor for any actions taken in reliance thereon. Prior to implementing any changes to your operations, it is strongly recommended that you review the NMA and the regulation directly and seek any advice you consider appropriate from a qualified person.

For more information:
Toll Free: 1-877-424-1300