Sheep Nutrition and Pastures
In Ontario, livestock producers use almost half a million hectares of improved pasture and three-quarters of a million hectares of unimproved pasture land. Good pastures don't just happen. They are the result of good management - management based on the knowledge of how plants grow, their fertility requirements and their ability to withstand grazing and trampling by animals.
Feed is the single largest cost associated with raising small ruminants, typically accounting for 60% or more of total production costs. Nutrition has a very large influence on flock reproduction, milk production, and lamb growth. For nutrition information, follow the links below.
- Feeding Sugar Beets
- Forage and Feed Analysis
- Laboratories Offering Mycotoxin Analysis
- Nutritional Strategies to Reduce Nutrient Output in Sheep Manure
- Protein Content in Modern Sheep Rations (Order No. 03-019)
- Sheep Nutrient Unit Calculator
- Variability Of Nutrient Content In Feed Ingredients - What Effect it has on Nutrient Output (Order No. 04-005)
- Definitions of Feed Manufacturing and Livestock Nutrition Terms (Order No. 08-039)
- Mycotoxins Can Impair Milk Production
- Feed Analysis Reports Explained (Order No. 16-049)
- Faba Beans as Protein in Livestock Feed (Order No. 16-057)
Feeding The Flock
- Don't Lose Hay to Poor Fertility
- Feeding Systems for Sheep (Order No. 03-013)
- Processing Grains: Is there any Bang for the Buck?
- Feeding Corn Silage to Sheep (Order No. 14-021)
- Low Labour Feeding Systems and Bunk Design for Sheep (Order No. 14-023)
- Diet Supplementation for Grazing and Outwintering Ewes (Order No. 02-045)
- Feed Hay First
- Flushing The Ewe Flock: Is It Beneficial? (Order No. 02-055)
- Nutrition Of The Ewe Flock
- Pregnancy Disorders (Metabolic) in Transition Ewes (Order No. 03-017)
- Replacement Ewe Lamb Nutrition
- Replacing Water with Clean Snow for Ewes and Beef Cows (Order No. 09-065)
- Total Mixed Ration (TMR) Use in the Ewe Flock (Order No. 14-025)
- Artificial Rearing of Lambs (Order No. 99-019)
- Nutrition and Feeding Systems for Market Lamb Finishing (Order No. 14-041)
Introduction to Feeding Small Ruminants
Basics on feeding and nutrition for sheep and other small ruminants
Dakota State University Sheep Feeding Guidelines
Sheep nutrition requirements and suggestions.
Requirements of Sheep
A comprehensive scientific publication on the nutrition and feeding of sheep, as well as metaboic disorders of sheep produced by the National Research Council (NRC).
Nutrition and Feeding Programs
Feed and nutrition of sheep during all stages of life.
For more information:
Toll Free: 1-877-424-1300