How Many Nutrient Units Do I Have?
Poultry Operations

If you own a poultry operation, Ontario Regulation 267/03 under the Nutrient Management Act, 2002 applies to you if your operation generates 300 or more nutrient units (NU) annually. It also applies to you if your operation generates more than five (5) NU annually and you:

  • apply for a building permit* to build any structure that is used to house livestock or to store manure; or
  • construct an earthen manure storage.

If you own a poultry operation and keep no other livestock on your farm, you can use the following chart to easily determine the nutrient units for your farm operation.

Determine Total Nutrient Units for Your Farm

Type of Poultry Operation

# of Animals

NU Conversion Factor

Divide # of Animals by NU Conversion Factor

Laying Hens

150 birds/NU

Layer Pullets (day olds)

500 pullets/NU

Chicken Broilers (8-week cycle)

351 birds/NU

Chicken Broilers (9-week cycle)

300 birds/NU

Chicken Broilers (10-week cycle)

250 birds/NU

Chicken Broilers (12-week cycle)

199 birds/NU

Broiler Breeder Layers (females and males transferred in)

100 birds/NU

Broiler Breeder Layers (females and males transferred out)

300 pullets/NU

Turkey Broilers (<6.2 kg)

133 birds/NU

Turkey Hens (6.2 - 10.8 kg)

110 birds/NU

Turkeys - Toms (>10.8 kg)

75 birds/NU

Turkey Pullet ( 0 to 6 weeks)

267 birds/NU

Total Nutrient Units on Farm

* O. Reg. 267/03 also applies to those operations that would require a building permit under the Building Code Act, 1992 but are exempt from having to obtain a permit under the application of clause (b) of Division C of the building code made under that Act.

For more information:
Toll Free: 1-877-424-1300