Information Resources for Beef Producers
Deciding when and how to market and feed your beef animals right now can be a difficult decision. Below are resources that may help to guide your decision.
Feedlots, Feeding and Nutrition | Culling Cattle | Cattle Health and Welfare | Deadstock Disposal Methods | Mental Health Support | Tools for Assessing Your Farm Finances | Resources for Beef Producers during Market Disruptions | Information Resources for Dairy Producers
Since learning of COVID-19, Ontario has taken decisive action to stop the spread of this virus to protect the health and well-being of all Ontarians. Ontario is doing everything we can to keep our food supply system strong, including working closely with stakeholders and partners across all parts of the food production chain.
Webinars for Beef Producers
Feedlots, Feeding and Nutrition
- Identifying Production Efficiencies to Increase Profitability
- Feeding High-Grain Rations to Feedlot Cattle
- Effect of Weight at Turn-Out to Pasture on Average Daily Gain
- Feeding Cattle Beyond Optimum Market Weight and Finish shows some of the animal, feed and economic factors to consider when adjusting marketing.
- Feed Efficiency in Feedlot Production provides information on determining the levels of inputs required.
- Stretching Forage Supplies provides tips on alternative feeds to stretch supplies.
- Establishing Alternative Forages provides ideas for developing a plan for additional forage.
- Pasture Management provides quick ideas for producing more from pasture land.
- Controlling Acidosis with Effective Fiber
Before shipping always consider the health of the animal. Consult with your transporter and your buyer before shipping as markets may change quickly.
- Culling Criteria for Your Beef Herd factors to consider when downsizing.
- Selecting and Managing Heifers for Breeding
Cattle Health and Welfare
- Caring for Compromised Cattle - Farm & Food Care
Deadstock Disposal Methods
- On-farm Euthanasia of Cattle and Calves provides a summary of humane options available.
- Composting of Cattle On-farm
Mental Health Support
OMAFRA recognizes that farmers are under a lot of stress. If you are struggling, reach out to a friend, family or other emotional support.
- Identifying and Managing Stress: A Business Owner's Guide
- Mental Health for Farmers
- Information Links for Managing Human Resources COVID-19 Response. This infosheet provides a summary of information and links to help you understand changes related to managing staff on your farm operation. The information is current as of the publication date, however, it may be subject to frequent changes.
Tools for Assessing Your Farm Finances
- Provincial and Federal COVID-19 Financial Supports for Farmers. This infosheet provides a summary of information and links to provincial and federal financial support information. The information is current as of the publication date but subject to frequent changes. Always check the program website for the most current details.
- Financial Programs Summary Ontario Federation of Agriculture
- Cash flow planning worksheet - Use this template to undertake cash flow planning and calculate key ratio
- Ontario Beef Cattle Financial Protection Program While the Ministry recognizes that many businesses are facing disruptions during COVID-19, the rules and regulations regarding the licensing of cattle dealers and the purchase of beef cattle under the Livestock and Livestock Products Act are still in force. Sellers are reminded to continue to submit late payment reports and file any claims within the required time period. Making a claim.
The Ontario Beef Cattle Financial Protection Program protects cattle sellers when a licensed dealer defaults on payment. The program is delivered by Agricorp (1-888-247-4999).
For more information about the Ontario Beef Cattle Financial Protection Program, please visit Ontario Beef Cattle Financial Protection Program.
- Average Weekly Cattle Prices: 2005 - 2020 Futures (Excel)
- Resources for Beef Producers during Market Disruptions Beef Cattle Reserch Council
- Analyzing and Managing Your Cash Flow
- Farm Business Decision Calculators Online programs for evaluating the profitability of your livestock production practice
- Managing Commodity Price Risk provides a basic overview of the commodity price risk management tools and terminology.
- Special Provision - Financial Difficulties
Under the Canadian Agricultural Partnership, Ontario producers who are experiencing financial difficulty may qualify to access advisory services to complete a Farm Financial Assessment at no cost. The Farm Financial Assessment provides a review of the farm business' past financial performance, provides an analysis of the current business climate, develops objectives and identifies options to meet profitability and sustainability goals. For more information, contact the Agricultural Information Contact Centre at 1-877-424-1300 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information:
Toll Free: 1-877-424-1300