How Many Nutrient Units Do I Have?
Camelid Operations

If you own a camelid operation, Ontario Regulation 267/03 under the Nutrient Management Act, 2002 applies to you if your operation generates 300 or more nutrient units (NU) annually. It also applies to you if your operation generates more than five (5) NU annually and you:

  • apply for a building permit* to build any structure that is used to house livestock or to store manure; or
  • construct an earthen manure storage.

If you own a camelid operation and keep no other livestock on your farm, you can use the following chart to easily determine the nutrient units for your farm operation.

Determine Total Nutrient Units for Your Farm

Type of Camelid Operation

# of Animals

NU Conversion Factor

Divide # of Animals by NU Conversion Factor

Llama Adults (includes unweaned young and replacements)


5 animals/NU


Llama Feeders: 45-86 kilograms (100-190 pounds)


16 animals/NU


Alpaca Adults (includes unweaned young and replacements)


8 animals/NU


Alpaca Feeders: 23-48 kilograms (50-105 pounds)


26 animals/NU


 Total Nutrient Units on Farm


* O. Reg. 267/03 also applies to those operations that would require a building permit under the Building Code Act, 1992 but are exempt from having to obtain a permit under the application of clause (b) of Division C of the building code made under that Act.

For more information:
Toll Free: 1-877-424-1300
Author: OMAFRA Staff
Creation Date: 01 July 2003
Last Reviewed: 28 September 2015