How Many Nutrient Units Do I Have?
Deer and Elk Operations

If you own a deer and/or elk operation, Ontario Regulation 267/03 under the Nutrient Management Act, 2002 applies to you if your operation generates 300 or more nutrient units (NU) annually. It also applies to you if your operation generates more than five (5) NU annually and you:

  • apply for a building permit* to build any structure that is used to house livestock or to store manure; or
  • construct an earthen manure storage.

If you own a deer and/or elk operation and keep no other livestock on your farm, you can use the following chart to easily determine the nutrient units for your farm operation.

Determine Total Nutrient Units for Your Farm

Type of Deer and Elk Operation

# of Animals

NU Conversion

Divide # of Animals by
NU Conversion Factor

Elk Adults** (24 months and older)


2 animals/NU


Elk Feeders: 91-162 kilograms (225-400 pounds)


6 animals/NU


Elk/Red Deer Hybrid Adults** (24 months and older)


4 animals/NU


Elk/Red Deer Hybrid Feeders: 65-155 kilograms (160-340 pounds)


10 animals/NU


Red Deer Adults** (24 months and older)


7 animals/NU


Red Deer Feeders: 40-93 kilograms (100-230 pounds)


14 animals/NU


White Tailed Deer Adults** (24 months and older)


11 animals/NU


White Tailed Deer Feeders: 30-51 kilograms (75-125 pounds)


21 animals/NU


Fallow Deer Adults** (24 months and older)


13 animals/NU


Fallow Deer Feeders: 22-51 kilograms (55-125 pounds)


23 animals/NU


Total Nutrient Units on Farm


* O. Reg. 267/03 also applies to those operations that would require a building permit under the Building Code Act, 1992 but are exempt from having to obtain a permit under the application of clause (b) of Division C of the building code made under that Act.

** The number of adults includes nutrient adjustments for fawns/calves and replacements.

For more information:
Toll Free: 1-877-424-1300
Author: OMAFRA Staff
Creation Date: 01 July 2003
Last Reviewed: 28 September 2015