Heat Stress in Livestock and Poultry App
Free download for Blackberry
The University of Guelph and the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, have jointly developed a new free app available from Google Play or Blackberry Marketplace that lets you calculate the level of heat stress experienced by livestock. The App allows producers to calculate the heat stress index on their smart phone by inputting the temperature in C or F and the relative humidity, either at that moment or by inputting the forecast temperature and relative humidity for later in the day. The producer then gets an output that links them to various management options they can use to reduce the potential heat stress on their animals. Now producers have a tool that readily puts the information they need at their fingertips, anytime, anywhere!
- 7 types of livestock
- A variety of ventilation systems
- 3 languages: English, French and Spanish
- 5% increments for humidity changes
- 2 degree increment temperature changes (metric/imperial)
- Levels from No Heat Stress to Emergency
- Practical actions to take to reduce the effects of heat stress
This is a picture of a page from the Heat Stress for Livestock and Poultry App.
For more information:
Toll Free: 1-877-424-1300