Agricultural Biomass for Combustion Energy
Project to Commercialize Agricultural Biomass for Combustion Energy
- About the Steering Committee
- Working Group Reports
- Terms of Reference
- Biomass Forums
- Funding for Biomass Research and Development
- Ontario Research Completed or Underway
- OMAFRA Resources
About the Steering Committee
The Ontario government has committed to eliminate coal-fired power generation at Ontario Power Generation (OPG) facilities by the end of 2014. OPG and the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA), with the support of the Ministry of Energy and Infrastructure (MEI), are coordinating analysis of the feasibility of a commercial agricultural biomass industry for the production of combustion energy in Ontario.
The project is being led by a Steering Committee representing a cross section of agriculture, industry, academic and government experts. Under their direction, the project is examining the role agricultural biomass might have in producing power and heat to help reduce net greenhouse gas emissions, to help meet Ontario's climate change commitments and to help meet renewable energy targets. They are also tackling the gaps in research, economic analysis and infrastructure development that need to be addressed prior to government decisions about fostering the development of this industry.
Three working groups composed of people in the forefront of this emerging industry, have been established to share their expertise and advice with the Steering Committee.
- The Business Case Working Group is looking at whether a business case can be made at each step in the value chain.
- The Technical Working Group is addressing agronomic, infrastructure and combustion challenges.
- The Environmental Sustainability Working Group is focused on environmental sustainability and development of a sustainability certification system.
Working Group Reports
Working Group reports to the Steering Committee summarize their activities, significant findings and outstanding priorities.
- Steering Committee
- Business Case Working Group
- Technical Working Group
- Environmental Sustainability Working Group
Funding for Biomass Research and Development
- Provincial and Federal Funding Programs for Bioenergy Projects (Biomass for Combustion Energy, Biogas and Biofuels) - July 2011
Ontario Research Completed or Underway
- Add or Update Your Ontario Agricultural Biomass Research Project
- Summary of Agricultural Biomass Research Studies in Ontario (November 2011)
- Cement 2020
- Ontario Federation of Agriculture Biomass Project
- Add a Website Link (Major Biomass Research and Development Initiatives)
- Biomass Burn Characteristics
- Biomass Combustion: Is Biomass Combustion Right for My Farm Operation?
- Biomass Crop Seed/Planting Material Suppliers
- Biomass Densification
- Biomass Fuel Pellets Suppliers
- Biomass Pelletizing, Heating and Combustion Equipment Manufacturers/Suppliers
- Small Biomass Boiler Technology
- Switchgrass Enterprise Budget
For more information:
Toll Free: 1-877-424-1300