Maple Syrup Industry Overview
Table of Contents
Here, in Ontario, our producers account for the production of more than one million litres of maple syrup annually. In 2002 alone, Ontario's maple syrup industry had a gross value of $11 million placing us second in Canada to Quebec in terms of product value.
One of the factors making Ontario a world leader in maple syrup production is the climate. Cold winters followed by warm and sunny spring thaws create ideal conditions for sap to run from our two main sources - the sugar or hard maple and the black maple. Most of the province's maple syrup is produced in the Waterloo and Wellington regions in southern Ontario and the Lanark and District regions in eastern Ontario. However, other areas of southern, south-western, eastern, central and north-central Ontario also have significant maple syrup operations.
Today, Ontario is home to 2,600 producers with an estimated 1.3 million taps and an annual production of more than one million litres of syrup. Nearly 80 per cent of our province's maple syrup is now produced by operations using a plastic tube collection system with the remaining 20 per cent relying on traditional bucket tapping operations. For more information on Ontario's maple syrup industry, please read our relevant infosheet.
It's no secret that Canada plays a leading international role in maple syrup production. We produce about 85 per cent of the world's maple syrup - valued at over $213 million annually. There are approximately 10,500 producers across the country located mainly in Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia that export our maple products to 45 countries worldwide.
Opportunities for Ontario's Agri-Food Sector:
For more information:
Toll Free: 1-877-424-1300
Local: (519) 826-4047