How to collect & submit samples for strawberry virus test
Address for submissions:
- Pest Diagnostic Clinic
Laboratory Services Division, University of Guelph
95 Stone Road W, Guelph, Ontario N1H 8J7
- Collect the sample from a single variety and planting year.
- Strawberry plants infected by viruses show variable symptoms, including stunted plants with yellow leaf margins, crinkled leaves, pale mottle, interveinal yellowing.
- For plants with symptoms: Collect 10 newly expanded leaves that show symptoms. If not sure, send the entire plants.
- Or, for plants without symptoms: Randomly collect 10 newly expanded leaves. If not sure, send the entire plants.
- Consider taking photos of the samples you have submitted.
- Clearly label the sample "Strawberry- 5 virus screen"
- Be sure to include your billing address and email address.
- Fill in the PDC sample submission form. Under cropping history indicate the planting year. Under cropping history it is helpful if you indicate pre-plant fumigants and any insecticides applied in the planting year and subsequent years.
- Wrap the plant tissues/plants in newspaper and put in a sealed plastic bag or container. Do not add moisture when packing plant(s) or plant parts.
- Ship the sample together with the sample submission form by courier to Pest Diagnostic Clinic. Please note: Avoid shipping over the weekend. Dead material is unsuitable.
Payment for diagnosis
- Each sample will be tested for the following virus and virus like diseases: strawberry mild yellow edge virus (SMYEV), strawberry vein banding virus (SVBV), strawberry mottle virus (SMV), strawberry crinkle virus (SCV) and strawberry pallidosis.
- A reduced rate of $155 per sample will apply to samples from Ontario growers received between June 23 and July otherwise, contact the PDC for rates.
- The Pest Diagnostic Clinic (PDC) will send an invoice to the address you provide.
Contact Pam Fisher (optional)
- Information will remain confidential but would be appreciated. If you would like Pam Fisher to know the results from samples you have submitted, please send a copy of the sample submission form to email@example.com (fax 519-428-1142). You MUST also ask the PDC to share the sample results with Pam Fisher.
Questions: Contact Pam Fisher 519-428-4387 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information:
Toll Free: 1-877-424-1300
|Author:||Pam Fisher - Berry Specialist/OMAF and MRA|
|Creation Date:||01 July 2014|
|Last Reviewed:||01 July 2014|