Canadian Agricultural Partnership Program: Overview of Economic Development Programming
The Canadian Agricultural Partnership (the Partnership) is a five-year commitment by Canada's federal, provincial and territorial governments that will support Canada's agri-food and agri-products sectors.
Strategic initiatives will support projects in three key priority areas, with research and innovation continuing to be a key focus across all programming:
- Economic Development: Market Development; Productivity; Business Analysis and Skills Development
- Environmental Stewardship: Water Quality; Soil Health
- Protection and Assurance: Food Safety; Animal Health; Plant Health
Programming will be targeted to deliver the most impactful results to address key priority areas under the Partnership.
Economic Development Programming
Through the Partnership, the federal and provincial governments are investing in Ontario's agri-food and agri-products businesses and their value chains to expand markets, be more competitive, productive and profitable. These investments will continue to support the long-term sustainability of the agri-food and agri-products sectors and their value chains.
Cost-share funding will target three areas:
- Market development
- domestic and international markets
- technology, innovation and labour attraction
- Business analysis
- skills development, knowledge transfer and resources
Program funds will support key activities to:
- Adopt innovations, tools, best practices and technologies
- Create and commercialize innovative products, practices and processes
- Increase sector collaboration
- Maintain investments and capacity
Economic Development activities provide multiple outcomes including:
- Businesses retain, expand and/or access new domestic and international markets.
- Productivity is increased.
- Implementing assurance systems
- Ensure food safety systems and/or traceability processes are adjusted to support increased growth
- Fostering environmental outcomes (water, energy, waste) through productivity improvements
Examples of Economic Development Project Categories targeting Market Development, Productivity and Business Analysis through the Partnership are:
- Marketing plan, assessment or audit
- New sales and marketing activities, tools and resources for the domestic market
- New sales and marketing activities, tools and resources for the export market
- New product or process development
- Incubators and commercialization
- Labour productivity plan, assessment or audit
- Install technology and/or equipment to increase automation
- Pilot projects, demonstrations, and technology
- Enterprise Resources Planning (ERP) and supply chain management
- Productivity through input and waste management
- Commercialization of technology or equipment to increase productivity
- Financial analysis or business assessment
- Business planning
- Leadership Development
Who can apply
Farmers, processors, organizations, other businesses and collaborations, Indigenous and northern communities, and manufacturers of productivity enhancing equipment for producers and processors.
When to apply
Application intakes for farmers, processors and other businesses will be scheduled at different times between April 1, 2018, and March 31, 2023. Visit ontario.ca/AgPartnership for program details, guidebooks, application details and intake dates.
Application details, intake dates, program details and guidebooks for sector organizations and collaborations are available from the Agricultural Adaptation Council at: adaptcouncil.org/program/cap.
For more information:
Toll Free: 1-877-424-1300