Social Responsibility Resources
Long term farming depends on meeting today's needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs. The three components of social responsibility are environmental stewardship, community involvement and industry involvement.
Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural
Agricultural Information Contact Centre
- OMAFRA Publications: Best
Management Practices Series
Publications cover environmental solutions to well, crop, livestock, manure, nutrient, woodlot, and wildlife management.
- OMAFRA Factsheet 10-035: Nutrient
Management Act, 2002- Understanding When Farms Require a NMS,
NMP or NASM Plan
This Factsheet explains what is included a nutrient management plan (NMP), a nutrient management strategy (NMS), and a non-agricultural source material plan (NASM), and when a farmer is required to prepare a plan or strategy.
- OMAFRA Factsheet 05-001: Farmer
and Neighbour Relations Preventing and Resolving Local Conflicts
This Factsheet outlines practical, positive strategies and legal mechanisms to help all parties understand, prevent and resolve farm-related conflicts.
- OMAFRA Factsheet 12-027: Legislation
and Farming Practices
This Factsheet gives an overview of the federal and provincial laws that could affect farming operations.
- OMAFRA Infosheet: Agricultural
Operation Planning (AOP) Certificate
(For Producers of Agricultural Source Materials Preparing Their Own Strategy and Plan). This infosheet provides information on new and renewal certificate requirements under the Nutrient Management Act, 2002 and the Ontario Regulation 267/03 (O. Reg. 267/03).
Environmental Farm Plan
Ontario Soil and Crop Improvement Association
Ontario Grower Pesticide
c/o Ridgetown College, University of Guelph, Ridgetown, ON N0P 2C0
Tel. 1-519-674-1580 or toll-free 1-800-652-8573
- Local Chambers of Commerce
- Boards of Trade
- Business Improvement Associations
- Municipal Economic Development Departments
Industry Level Involvement
- Provides rural leadership development
- Information to help develop effective organizations including communicating effectively, financial management and fundraising, managing meetings and volunteers, working with groups and etc.
The following OMAFRA staff contributed to the development of the Growing Your Farm Profits Social Responsibility section:
Business Management Specialist
Agriculture Development Advisor
For more information:
Toll Free: 1-877-424-1300